Sunday 14 October 2012

A good day to be a Pom (Especially a Northern Pom)

I'm feeling refreshed after my sleep last night so I now feel able to run through yesterdays events.

Arrived in Byron Bay at 7:30am after a 12 hour coach ride from Sydney and very little sleep. As hostel was fully booked the night before I couldn't check in early so spent the morning / afternoon chillin on the beach (not a bad way to waste time). Also got to see (at a distance) a whale and her cub which was megga cool. At check in time I bagged the much sort after bed in the dorm room ahead of 3 towel carrying Germans (England 3 Germany , lol).

After a freshen up a group of us guided by one of the Nomads (my hostel) staff went up to the lighthouse which is according to the sign the furthest Eastern point of Australia.

On the way up Mel pointed out a dolfin playing in the surf which Rob (Southern Pom) managed to miss (Northern England 1 Southern England 0). The views from the top were impressive and I'll probable have a trip up again later.

German ladies  (I forget the name of / must have been the 36 plus with very little sleep), Rob (Southern Pom) and Mel Normads staff checking out the view and trying to see if the whale I spotted on the beach in the morning was about.


The light house



Some of the views from the top



On the way down the back side of the hill we got a view of the other beach which had one person on it. Will have to make a trip down there for a bit of me time. Not that the main beach isn't quiet.


Back from our adventures it was time for some food a few beers in the hostel and a early night.

While chillin in the common room a got asked if I wanted to join in a bit of table tennis. After a bit of a ropey start I got into full swing and scores are as follows: England 5 Ireland 2 (with help from John when playing doubles and the fact that the Irish lads had been drinking all day), England 8 Finland 5 (who knew the Finnish could play table tennis) and then down to the battle of the titans and with the ball now spinning both ways England 10 Australia 9. A really enjoyable time and a great way to meet new people and I still manged to get a early night.

Now on to today. Got up at 9am and had my breakfast on the beach before going to the barbers to get my hair cut and beard shaved.The rest of the day is going to involve lasying on the beach with a movie later this evening at the hostel. If the weather is good I think it may be surf lession number 1 tomorrow, but as always i'll keep you up to date.

1 comment:

  1. BE CAREFUL when surfing! (don`t want any of those lovely sharks damaging their teeth!}.you-know-who and you -also-know- who! xxxx

    ReplyDelete