Sunday 7 October 2012

Back to the Island


Just a brief post today as all the walking I have been doing has taken it out of me.

It was back to Hong Kong Island today for some more exploring.

 

First stop was Flagstaff House (now the Museum of Tea Ware).  It was formally the office and residence of the Commander of the British Forces until 1978 (a good year for a reason I can’t recall, lol).


You would think a museum all about tea would be boring, but it was really interesting, Just need to find the Coffee museum now.

As if my magic of some sort of advanced planning Flagstaff House is in Hong Kong Park (I love it when a plan comes together. Wont bore you with any more of my nature pictures (not until I get home anyway), but here's a couple of the park.



Just up the road (its as if I have a guide book I'm following, lol) is the Helena May. Opened in 1916 it was used as a hostel for women. During the second world war the building was occupied by japanese troops.


Next door is St Joseph's Chruch. Built in 1871 it survived the onslaught of numerous typhoons only to be demolished and rebuilt in the mind 20th century.


Not my favorite church looks wise so far, that comes later.

A quick stop at the HK Zoological & botanical gardens for some food (fish balls in curry sauce, I know what your thinking) and a drink (its hard work this walking up hills).


Back down the hill to St John's cathedral (my favorite religious stucture in HK). Its is the oldest surviving ecclesiastical building in HK. Built in a 13th century gothic style (my fav style), constuction was completed in 1849 with it being declared a monument in 1996. I can hear FOD putting in his transfer request now.





Then spent the rest of my day walking around the town before catching the ferry back to Kowloon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment