Thursday 11 October 2012

Sail away, sail away, sail away


 I’ll come to the title of my blog in a minute.

First I will let you know what I got up to last night. On the recommendation of a couple of Irish lads staying at the hostel I went to Cheers Bar for some food. Steak and chips £7 (bargain). It was great to sit there for a few hours chatting with the locals about sport and watching the people walk past the window. On the way back (about 1 min up the road from Hostel) I stopped at Scuffy’s as they had drag queen karaoke. Its standard karaoke with two drag queens as the compares and a really good laugh. I had to give them a song and had a quick dance with a short Russian lady before it was back to the hostel (alone) for a early night.
Now we come to the title of the blog. I spent the today at the Australian National Maritime Museum and for the first time on my trip had to wear my rain coat (rainy Sydney who knew).  It was really quiet so got a personal tour by one of the many volunteers. The first exhibit he took me to was the Titanic one.  Some really nice displays with the most moving part a wall with all the people who survived from the different classes in the top sections with all those who died at the bottom (see pic below).


 
He then showed me some of the other highlights for me to then have a proper look on my own later. He was really proud of the display about the awesome foursome (four rowers who won Olympic gold’s in 1994 & 1996) he then went on to tell me that they won silver in 2000 at which time I knew what was coming and had a huge smile on my face. They came second to Sir Steve Redgrave & Co (Come on the poms).


My smile got bigger when he showed me a figure head of a ship and asked me who the person was. My History teacher would be so proud that I got the answer right. I’m thinking about offering a prize for the first correct answer I get.

 After a look round the displays on my own and some lunch in the museum cafe I set off to check out the floating displays.

First up was the HMB Endeavour which is a replica of Captain Cook’s famous vessel of discovery, presented in the manor of his 1768-1771 circumnavigation.

Then it was on to the James Craig where I not only got a insight into the ship but some travel advice for when I get to the US from one of the volunteers.

Next it was the HMAS Vampire which served in the Royal Australian Navy from 1959 – 1986.


 

Then finally it was onto the submarine HMAS Onslow which served in the Royal Australian Navy from 1969 – 1986. The tight spaces on the sub reminded me of my room back in Hong Kong. Lol
A great day with lots of information and the sun even came out. Think I may make it down to Sydney Harbour later to see if I can get some better pictures than I took Yesterday.

3 comments:

  1. Is the figure head Sean Bean ? or is it Russell Crow ? I am sure to win first prize ! Was always good at history. Glad your enjoying Austria (always good at geography too !).

    From your quick thinking sis x

    PS . Third guess Napoleon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, no prize for you.lol

      Big bro x

      Delete
  2. I'm gonna guess Captain Cook because I want the prize!

    ReplyDelete