Thursday 6 September 2012

Dubai - Wow



Wednesday, 5 September 2012
 
 
On arrival in Dubai I grabbed some breakfast and got the Metro (clean, on time and cheap unlike in the UK) to Dubai Marina and then a taxi to Wayne and Claire’s house. As Wayne and Claire were both working the cleaner let me in and I was greeted with two notes (one from Wayne and one from Claire) explaining  where everything was, how to set up my internet, etc.  House is beautiful.

 After a quick nap on the couch Wayne arrived home from his meeting and introduced me to two of his employees Chris (a nice chap despite being a Leeds fan) and Helen (owe her lunch for helping me set my computer up). Wayne then took me out on a mini tour of Dubai by car despite being in the process of setting up a new company.

Wow, wow, and more wow. Everywhere is spotless, the royal families beach huts are massive and buildings that previously looked small from a distance are huge when you get close up. Atlantis on the Palm Jumeira is amazing (I need to umpack my camera so i can get some decent pictures). 

The tour had to finish how all tours finish, with a few beers. Dubai Yacht Club is almost as impresive as yachts moored outside.  Nell Gwynne English Pub (in the Marina Byblos Hotel) has a Ye Olde English theme with darts boards, pool table, football on the TV and serves a good pint of Guinness (for quality control purposes I had to try a few). Then Wayne took me to The Montgomerie Golf Club for a beer in the club house. Its a stunning set of buildings with great views everywhere you look (not just the wedding coordinator, lol).



Before we left Wayne showed me the Colin Montgomerie (Golf Legend) and Franz Beckenbauer (Ex German Football International) lockers, fitness center, the cigar room (with snooker table and Balcony) and resturant.

Then back to home base where Claire had cooked a fab curry to top off the day. Great to have a good chat with Wayne and get to know him better. Looking forward to spending some time with Claire.

9pm and feeling a little tired. Must have been the fact that I'd been up since 7am yesterday with only a couple of hours sleep (nothing to do with the beer).

 

2 comments:

  1. Been to Dubai Rob so I can picture some of the places you are visitng, I think the city is amazing too. Enjoy and keep your blog going.
    All the best.
    Kayx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! It sounds good. Thanks for sharing..
    dubai brunch

    ReplyDelete